UNISON’s One Team campaign gives NHS support staff the recognition they deserve.
Who do people see when they think of NHS staff? Probably doctors, nurses and paramedics. But almost half the staff in the NHS (around 470,000 people) are in clinical support or infrastructure support roles.
These unsung heroes have played a vital role in the NHS response to COVID-19 and will continue to do so throughout the pandemic.
NHS support staff work tirelessly throughout the health service to clean wards, maintain vital equipment, order medical supplies, book appointments and cook meals – all to ensure that patients get the care they need.
These staff don’t always get the recognition they deserve, but UNISON is proud to represent them, and proud of the important role they all play in patient care.
What is UNISON doing for NHS support staff?
As the main union for support staff across the NHS, UNISON believes it is time that members of the public and politicians understood the role they play in delivering quality patient care. We think it’s unfair that they don’t get the recognition they so clearly deserve.
Support staff have been on the receiving end of cost-saving drives in the NHS, including job cuts, restructurings, zero hours contracts, downbanding and outsourcing.
- We campaign to ensure that the NHS and its staff remain in the public sector. We campaign for the whole team of staff it takes to provide health services across the UK.
- We have a new series of films that highlight the valuable work that support staff do in the NHS.
- We are promoting the message that all staff, no matter what they do, play an important part in caring for patients.
- We are campaigning to remove the false divide when politicians talk about ‘frontline’ and ‘back office’ NHS staff.
- We are promoting the value of our support staff by campaigning against any attacks which attempt to devalue the work they do and underplay the role they play in patient care.
So what can you do as support staff working in the NHS?
- If you’re not already a member, join UNISON so that you have a voice and can be part of our campaign.
- Speak to your UNISON branch to get more details about our One Team campaign and our annual celebration of support staff during One Team Day