Who do people see when they think of NHS staff?
Probably doctors, nurses and paramedics. But there are hundreds of thousands of people working in non-clinical support roles as part of one NHS team to deliver excellent patient care, both directly and indirectly.
After all, where would our NHS be without the porters who move patients, cleaners who keep wards safe, catering staff who offer nutritious meals, laundry staff who keep infection at bay, security staff who make everyone safe, maintenance staff who make sure essential equipment works, and admin staff who keep the whole show on the road?
We’ll be celebrating One Team Day on Wednesday 15 November, and there are plenty of ideas and resources at the bottom of this page to help you make the day feel special.
One Team Awards
This year UNISON is proud to launch our first ever One Team Awards – a chance to nominate someone who deserves recognition for their contribution to the NHS team and put them in the running to win one of three £500 prize vouchers.
These awards are for UNISON members working in non-clinical support and operational services roles, up to and including band 5.
The panel deciding the three winners will include elected members working in similar roles – UNISON’s operational services committee! They’ll be judging entries based on the following criteria:
- Dedication to delivering and improving patient care, whether directly or indirectly
- Working effectively as part of one NHS team and being supportive towards colleagues;
- Being a role model for the job they do – for example, offering guidance to new starters or demonstrating ideal standards of work;
- Evidence of supporting equality, diversity and inclusivity.
It’s your chance to make the best case for your nominee. Don’t worry if you don’t have examples for all of the above criteria, but please aim to write at least 150 words, giving real-life examples and as much evidence as you can. You can view the terms and conditions here.
Nominations will open on Tuesday 14 November and close on 16 January 2024.
All nominations made using this form are subject to the terms and conditions at the link above.
How does UNISON campaign for NHS support staff?
As the main union for support staff across the NHS, UNISON believes it is time that members of the public and politicians understand the role they play in delivering quality patient care. We think it’s unfair that they don’t get the recognition they so clearly deserve.
- We promote the message that all staff, no matter what they do, play an important part in caring for patients.
- We campaign to ensure that the NHS and its staff remain in the public sector.
- We campaign to remove the false divide when politicians talk about ‘frontline’ and ‘back office’ NHS staff.
- We promote the value of our support staff by campaigning against any attacks which attempt to devalue the work they do and underplay the role they play in patient care.
Join today so that you have a voice in the largest union in the NHS and can be part of our campaign.