UNISON’s One Team campaign gives NHS support staff the recognition they deserve.
NHS support staff work tirelessly throughout the health service to clean wards, maintain vital equipment, order medical supplies, book appointments, manage computer systems and cook meals – all to ensure that patients get the care they need.
What is One Team about?
Who do people see when they think of NHS staff? Probably doctors, nurses and paramedics. But almost half the staff in the NHS (around 470,000 people) are in clinical support or infrastructure support roles – these include porters, medical secretaries, telephonists, cleaners, caretakers and laundry staff. These are the people, often unseen by patients, who work behind the scenes and carry out vital roles to keep our NHS running, making sure patients and their families get the best treatment possible.
What is UNISON doing for NHS support staff?
As the main union for support staff across the NHS, UNISON believes it’s high time that members of the public and politicians understood the role you play in delivering quality patient care. We think it’s unfair that you don’t get the recognition you deserve.
Support staff have been on the receiving end of cost-saving drives in the NHS, including job cuts, restructurings, zero hours contracts, downbanding and outsourcing.
UNISON campaigns to ensure that the NHS and its staff remain in the public sector. We campaign for you.
- We are promoting the message that all staff, no matter what they do, play an important part in caring for patients.
- We are campaigning to remove the false divide when politicians talk about ‘frontline’ and ‘back office’ NHS staff.
- We are promoting the value of our support staff by campaigning against any attacks which come your way.
So what can you do as support staff working in the NHS?
- If you’re not already a member, join UNISON so that you have a voice and can be part of our campaign.
- Find out more about the campaign by visiting unison.org.uk/oneteam
- Speak to your UNISON branch to get more details about One Team week
This year we will be celebrating the porters, cleaners, admin and clerical staff, catering staff and all support workers during One Team Week.
Join us to celebrate the whole healthcare team during One Team week from 5-9 November 2018.
More information will be available here soon.