UNISON provides quality legal services for employment-related and non-work issues at no extra cost to members and their family. In fact, UNISON provides the broadest range of legal help to union members in the UK.
What cover do my family and I receive?
As a UNISON member, you receive free legal advice and assistance for:
- Employment law (accessed via your UNISON branch or regional office)
- Personal injury – at or away from work, on holiday or on the roads
- Serious injury at work – including brain injuries and spinal cord injuries
- Industrial disease or illness
- Basic will writing and reduced rates for more complex wills and conveyancing
- Defending work related criminal allegations
- Free initial legal advice on any non-work issue. This service entitles you to receive up to 30-minutes of telephone advice. This must relate to you personally and not a family member. The scheme does not cover general financial advice.
UNISON members’ families are covered for:
- Personal injury – away from work, on holiday or on the roads
- Reduced rates for wills and conveyancing
And if you or a loved one think you have been injured as the result of clinical negligence, we can support you with free initial advice from UNISON’s lawyers.
Exclusions and qualifying periods apply
When you’re covered
A member must have joined at least four weeks before the incident or occurrence that leads them to seek that assistance. Subscription payments must be up to date. You must continue to be a UNISON member while your case is ongoing.
It is important that you contact the union as soon as possible as legal rights often have time limits. For example, a claim for unfair dismissal must be lodged within three months (less one day) of the date of dismissal.
All legal support is granted at the discretion of the union’s national executive council.
If you have been injured at work or a loved one has been injured outside of work you can claim with confidence using the UNISON legal service in partnership with Thompsons Solicitors.
UNISON members can get free legal advice and assistance with work-related issues through our legal assistance scheme.
A legal helpline is available for accredited UNISON stewards and lay officers who need urgent preliminary legal advice on employment matters. If the matter is not urgent, please contact your regional office as normal to get a referral for legal advice.
UNISON members can access free initial legal advice on non-work related issues, along with support for members and their family members for personal injury cases outside work, a free wills service, low-cost conveyancing service.