Mental health services across the UK are struggling as a result of chronic underfunding and increased demand. This is having a negative effect on people who use these services and on the health and wellbeing of the staff who provide them.
UNISON is the largest union in the NHS and we believe there should be proper investment and support for vital mental health services.
World mental health day – 10 October
UNISON is encouraging branches to raise awareness about mental health day on 10 October, by planning events where possible and ordering campaign materials.
Ideas in the run up to the day
- Use the week to highlight your local mental health campaign
- Arrange a coffee morning to raise awareness and fundraise
- Organise drop in stalls with a staff rota, where other members can find out about the various roles of staff who work in mental health settings/support those with mental health problems
- Invite your local MP to visit your planned events, so they can see the important role staff play in keeping mental health services running all year round
- Be sure to tag @unisonournhs on twitter with any social media posts. Use #worldmentalhealthday
- Order resources available from the UNISON stock catalogue as part of the union’s national mental health matters campaign. Search “mental health” for mugs, T- shirts and more