An awards scheme run by the Cavell Nurses Trust is to celebrate the work of healthcare assistants for the first time.
The Jean Atkinson MBE award for outstanding healthcare assistant is being sponsored by UNISON. It recognises Jean’s work on behalf of healthcare staff over the 28 years she worked in the NHS.
UNISON is encouraging health professionals to nominate colleagues who demonstrate consistently high standards of care in their work as part of the NHS team.
UNISON head of health Christina McAnea said: “Jean dedicated her working life to improving the NHS and took every opportunity to act on behalf of staff, particularly healthcare assistants.
“The NHS is such a success because all staff play their part ensuring patients get the best care possible. Healthcare assistants are an essential part of that team and this new award focuses attention on the great work they do.”
Notes to editors:
– The Cavell Nurses Trust is a charity that provides personal and financial support to nurses.
– Nominations for awards close on 22 April and can be made here.
– The award is given in memory of Jean Atkinson MBE, a nursing auxiliary from the North West.
– The awards ceremony is on 22 June at the Grand Connaught Rooms in central London.
– Other categories include the international impact award and one for excellence in care for older people.