The minimum wage rates – including the so-called national living wage which applies to workers over 25 – go up today (1 April).
The new rates are:
- 25 and over – £7.50 an hour;
- 21 to 24 – £7.05 an hour;
- 18 to 20 – £5.60 an hour;
- 16 to 17 – £4.05 an hour;
- apprentice rate – £3.50 an hour.
UNISON has consistently campaigned for the independent living wage rates, announced by the Living Wage Foundation and Greater London mayor and calculated on the amount someone needs to earn for a basic but decent life.
This is currently £8.45 an hour outside London and £9.75 an hour in London, which has a higher cost of living.