COVID-19 advice for energy workers

This page provides advice for workers in the energy sector and in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak.

UNISON is negotiating with energy employers and has sought agreements on measures to protect staff during the current COVID-19 outbreak. We have also been in discussions with the Government, the energy regulator OFGEM and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

The main energy employers we negotiate with have all agreed that wherever possible staff who can, should work from home and continue to do so until further advice is given and agreed with us.

If you are being pressured to return to an office when you can continue to work from home it is important you raise your concerns with your employer and your local UNISON energy branch.

We recognise that some workers are unable to work from home or that this is no longer something the members wishes to continue with. Discussions are ongoing with key employers on the provision of some limited office working where the appropriate health and safety assessments have been carried out and the right mitigations provided.  You should contact your local UNISON branch if you need to return to an office-based environment.

Critical services

Most of you working in the energy sector are likely to be critical to the delivery of the COVID-19 response irrespective of their formal role.

Keeping power supplied in the form of gas and electricity is absolutely essential hence the designation of many energy workers as key workers.

Where critical services need to be maintained it may, at times, be necessary for some staff to move to work flexibly, carry out other duties or work in different locations.

Some contracts will already have some flexibility clauses within them but if not, any proposed changes should always be agreed beforehand with individuals and your UNISON branch. Employees should not suffer any detriment in pay and conditions for the period of any temporary changes that are introduced.

Where staff are being asked to work flexibly, carry out other duties or work in a different location (other than home) initially volunteers should be sought and appropriate training and personal protective equipment always provided if required.

Employees who agree to undertake a different role should suffer no financial detriment and continue to be paid at their usual contracted rate, or a higher rate if that was in place for the role performed.

It should always be clear if possible, what duration these temporary arrangements will last for.

Staff with an underlying condition or who are pregnant

Where staff have an underlying health condition or are pregnant they should work from home where possible.

If they cannot work from home they should not be asked to use annual leave to cover the period they need to stay at home due to government advice on self-isolation and social distancing.

Read more on our general COVID-19 advice page


Office-based workers

If your role involves you working from an office than ordinarily, you should be working from home where possible.

If this is not possible, it is important your employer has ensured that your office or place of work is suitable and that appropriate COVID-19 workplace risk assessments have been carried out. These measures should ensure that at all times social distancing requirements can be maintained. In addition, other key measures should include:

  • Enhanced cleaning regimes
  • No host desking that requires the use of shared equipment
  • Hand sanitiser is always stocked up and available from many locations.
  • Clarity that staff should self –isolate if they have any symptoms and not come into work (and not suffer consequences)  If you are a critical worker you can access the COVID-19 testing facility and guidance on this should be provided by your employer
  • Ensuring that staff working indoors with colleagues  attempt to adhere to social distancing wherever possible and understand this requirement
  • Clarity on requirements for the wearing of and provision on PPE based on the best guidance available and workplace risk assessments. We would see the guidance issued by Public Health England (PHE) as the minimum base level.

Field-based staff

If your role involves you working at one of more operational energy sites including going into a person’s home for essential reasons and it is not possible to perform your duties from home, it is again critical that appropriate COVID-19 risk assessments have been carried by your employer.

Trade unions should have had chance to discuss these arrangements and these risk assessments should have trade union input into them (please the guidance on this available here)

Under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations employers must undertake an assessment of the risk of COVID-19 transmission in each workplace/location.

It is important that your energy employer understands that they have a responsibility under law to protect staff and that this include COVID-19. Energy employers generally have good health and safety systems in place and these often involve trade unions so if you have concerns please do speak with your local UNISON branch.

In addition, if working in the field at operational sites it is important that:

  • If social distancing cannot be maintained at an operational site, the risk of COVID-19 transmission must be mitigated as far as is possible via the use of appropriate PPE, as well as the usual hygiene measures. This PPE must be provided by the employer. The guidance issued by PHE should be the minimum provided.
  • When attending sites if using an employer badged vehicle etc, it is important that you travel alone to maintain social distancing.
  • Metering operatives who carry out non-essential work have in many cases been furloughed under the COVID-19 job retention scheme UNISON has provided specific advice on furlough and the job retention scheme.

Furlough and the Job Retention Scheme

It is still unclear at what point employers will begin to ramp up metering operations but it is crucial that specific advice is given to employees based on risk assessments that include how to deal with going into people’s homes and mitigating the risks to employee and resident.

Staff employed by private facilities maintenance, security, catering and cleaning companies will also need appropriate guidance. The guidance produced here for energy workers is in large parts relevant to them and can be used in a general way.

Advice for reps

We have specific guidance on issues relating to coronavirus on our Advice for Reps page and our Bargaining guides page.