- 2019 National Women's Conference
- 19 October 2018
- Carried as Amended
Conference notes that ‘Ask for Angela’ is a scheme instigated in Lincolnshire County Council in 2016, which has been endorsed and rolled out in other cities in the UK. The initiative provided a mechanism where women, who feel unsafe, uncomfortable or threatened on a date or a night out can approach the staff at the premises and use the code “Is Angela in?” to obtain assistance to help them get safely out of the situation, including ordering a taxi if necessary.
Conference calls upon National Women’s Committee (NWC) to:
• Raise awareness of the “Ask for Angela” scheme with service groups, young members, other national committees, labour link forum, regional women’s committees , other self organised groups, regionally and nationally.
• To work externally with the TUC, local authorities, Police and Crime Commissioners, directly elected Mayors, institutions of higher education and student unions
• To produce a briefing note, explaining the scheme, which can be shared as widely as possible within the union to raise awareness of the scheme
• To share PDFs of the campaign materials and invite a representative of “Ask for Angela” to address conference 2020 and have a stall and fringe event at a future conference
• Promote the facebook and twitter presence of “Ask for Angela”
• Encourage a consistent application of the scheme using the name Angela