- 2015 Police & Justice Service Group Conference
- 18 September 2015
PCSOs an endangered workforce
Newspapers are alight with reports of Police Forces either considering or deleting PCSO posts. The most recent example being Nottinghamshire Police’s announcement on 11th September 2015, that they are reducing their PCSO establishment by 70. On the 9th September 2015, the Metropolitan Police announced that they are considering axing 1,017 PCSO posts and as we all know that what happens in the Met usually follows in the rest of the country. Also on the 9th September 2015 The Home Secretary announced that start of consultation on the extension of powers to voluntary PCSOs.
On the 29th July 2015 the West Midlands Police announced that their 605 PCSOs were to be axed as part of the forces austerity programme. Many other forces have now started to announce PCSO cuts.
Conference there is a real threat to PCSOs and we must act to support them, we are now at a crossroads where the future of thousands of our members is at stake. Conference therefore calls on the SGE to:
1. Mount a campaign in support of PSCOs with the aim of retaining existing numbers.
2. Seek allies to support the role of PCSOs and our campaign.
3. Provide support where possible to branches via the campaign where cuts or potential cuts to PCSO numbers have been announced.
4. Engage with the public via the campaign to inform and educate them as to the role of PCSOs