- 2014 National LGBT Conference
- 30 July 2014
Conference believes a growing number of people identify with sexual orientations or gender identities outside of or in addition to the traditional concepts of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT).
Conference believes that the most obvious place for these identities to be represented is within the LGBT Self Organised Group (SOG) due to the fact that we all face many similar and interlinked oppressions which stem from the heteropatriarchal system in our society.
Conference believes that there are a number of minority groups that face similar misunderstanding, discrimination and prejudice to the LGBT community. Conference believes that all people who experience prejudice or suffer discrimination on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity should be welcome into UNISONS LGBT SOG.
Conference congratulates those bodies that have made changes so that individuals who do not identify with the closed concepts of LGBT are welcome, however conference believes we do not have to change our name to ensure those minority groups continue to be welcomed to the UNISON LGBT group.
Conference notes that many individuals identify outside of or in addition to the traditional concepts of LGBT, in particular identifying as queer, conference further notes that the term Queer carries a stigma, and as such anyone defining as queer faces misunderstanding, discrimination and prejudice from both within the LGBT community and from the general public. For the avoidance of doubt, ‘queer’ does not include heterosexual, non-trans people
Conference agrees to ask the national LGBT committee to:
1. Consider whether our existing LGBT structures are inclusive enough of all those who suffer discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity;
2. Consider whether the materials we produce are sufficiently inclusive of all those who suffer discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity;
3. Consider holding a discussion group on queer issues at LGBT Conference in 2015;
4. On the basis of their deliberations bring a report back to LGBT conference 2015.