Stewards have a legal right to time to carry out their duties; although that doesn’t necessarily mean any other activities.
The right to time off
- workplace reps
- health and safety reps
- union learning reps
- information and consultation reps.
- trade union duties related to collective bargaining, on issues like: terms and conditions of employment; redundancies; job evaluation; family friendly policies; discipline; trade union facilities; and negotiating machinery
- Individual representation
- meetings with management and preparation for these meetings
- keeping members informed about negotiations.
There’s been some negative publicity about facility time in recent years – much generated by conservative lobby groups – but the truth is that good employment relations increase productivity and efficiency.