The time for talking is over. A national care service is the only way to prevent more deaths. We need a resilient system, like the NHS.
The UK’s response to the coronavirus left vulnerable people and the heroes that care for them unprotected. Never again. It’s time for a national care service. We have 5 demands we want the government to immediately guarantee:
- A real living wage for all care workers, as an absolute minimum.
- A standard employment contract for care work – including sick pay, contracted hours and pay for all hours on duty, including ‘sleep ins’ and travel time.
- Significant, emergency government funding.
- Professional standards – the Care Certificate should be upgraded and expanded and professional registration should be standardised throughout the UK.
- A partnership working group of commissioners, providers, governments and trade unions must be established to action solutions.
What you can do
We have the right plan for care. It’s a realistic but urgent plan for change that has been created by care workers. A national care service is long overdue, but it is now the government’s most pressing task. Without a national care service, the UK will not be fit to cope with future health crises. Join us and demand the government take action.
Get the nation behind our 5 demands 🙋♀️
Share our demands with your friends – see if they agree. Let’s get the whole nation calling for a national care service.