The Local Government Association (LGA) has made a two-year pay offer from 1 April 2018 – 31 March 2020 for council, school and other members on NJC pay.
Key features of the pay offer are:
- A 16% pay increase for those currently on the lowest NJC scale point (scp) 6 over two years
- A pay increase of between 15% and 4.3% for those on current NJC scp’s 7 – 28
- 4.04% over two years for those above current NJC scp 29 – including those above NJC scp 49
- A new pay spine from 2019, with new scale points 1-43 and even 2% pay gaps between scp’s 6-28
The full offer is laid out in this leaflet (pdf)
UNISON’S response to the offer
UNISON’s NJC committee met on Friday 16 March to consider the response from the member consultation over the Local Government Association’s (LGA) pay offer for 2018-20 – and next steps were agreed.
UNISON members very narrowly voted to reject the Local Government Association’s (LGA) pay offer for 2018-20 offer, with 50.44% voting to reject and 48.66% voting to accept it. (The small discrepancy was the result of 0.89% spoilt ballot papers.) However, 62.4% of branches and 8 out of 11 regions voted to accept the offer.
Consequently the NJC committee agreed to:
- reluctantly amend its recommendation to acceptance of the pay offer;
- consult branches via regions on the revised recommendation to accept the offer;
- the consultation will be completed by 5 April 2018;
- sranches will be asked : ‘Do you agree with the NJC Committee’s revised decision to accept the 2018-20 NJC pay offer? Yes /No.’
Branches are being asked to seek member feedback.
What does this mean for me?
The NJC committee will meet on 6 April to discuss branches feedback and decide next steps. We will keep members updated.
NJC pay in London
The pay spine for NJC employees in London is different from the one for other NJC employees. Members in Greater London have received a separate, equivalent offer. Details are being circulated to London branches.