Since the 2016 EU referendum, we have been campaigning to protect the rights of EU citizens living and working in the UK.
We have done this through:
- lobbies of parliament;
- working with other campaign groups;
- and organising and supporting members to get active in their branch, workplace and community.
Though we have been calling on the government to agree to the rights of over three million Europeans who live in the UK, regardless of the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, they have instead introduced a new immigration category called ‘Settled Status’.
We are closely monitoring the Home Office proposal for the new registration process while continuing to demand that the rights of EU citizens are ring-fenced and guaranteed in law with proper parliamentary oversight.
If you’re an EU citizen currently living and working in the UK at the moment, please note that your rights have not changed yet. EU citizens should be free from discrimination and xenophobia in the workplace and outside it.
EU Rights are now offering free legal advice if you’re holding an event around citizens’ rights or Settled Status.
What You Can Do:
- Join UNISON’s EU member facebook group to be kept up to date on the campaign
- Organise and support EU members to get active in their branch and workplace – use our branch finder to find details of your branch.
- With the support of the Strategic Organising Unit plan a workplace event with an update about Brexit (drop a line to: K.Widlak@unison.co.uk)
- Get Ready for Settled Status (leaflet)