“For all the things that are wrong with the care system in this country, we have a workforce that are passionate and committed. They care desperately about the people they look after. That’s a fantastic place to start in trying to build a care system that works.”
Christina McAnea, UNISON assistant general secretary
But care workers are not treated fairly. Care is in crisis, thanks to a system that has been underfunded and ignored by governments for years. Care workers and the people that they look after are paying the price.
That’s why we are campaigning for change. We are fighting to win:
- Decent jobs, including:
- A real living wage
- Full pay for sleep-in’s and travel time
- Fair contracts, no zero hours
- Enough time to care
- A safe working environment
- Quality standards: A national framework for care, with pay and training linked to standards.
- Fair funding: We are building political alliances and public support to get the right solutions for care workers and care users.
We are going to win change. But we need your help to do it.
The Postcode Lottery
Get your council to sign UNISON’s Ethical Care Charter. 45 councils in the UK have already – yours can too. It will improve care for elderly, sick and disabled people in your area AND deliver the real living wage and better working conditions for care workers.
Check if your council have signed the charter using our postcode checker. If not, just email your councillor, it takes one minute.