Members often tell us that they find it difficult to access learning and development in school or that, when they do, the content is mainly aimed at teachers.
We believe your school should equip you with the tools for the job, but we also know that it doesn’t always happen. So we’ve worked with the Open University and adult education provider, WEA, to develop training modules appropriate to your school role.
Designed to be welcoming, friendly and practical the sessions will cover areas you have identified as being of concern:
Breaking down the barriers to learning:
- building inner strength
- anger management tips
- confidence building
- reflecting on how you respond to inappropriate behaviour working as a team to help learners achieve their best.
Closing the gap
Helping children from challenged backgrounds to maximise attainment:
- coaching to improve learning
- improving literacy and numeracy ideas
- building the relationships with the home
- working as a team to help learners achieve their best.
Promoting digital skills:
- keeping yourself safe online (tailored to the issues school staff face)
- understanding your digital rights and responsibilities
- quick-hit tools for use in the classroom
- getting the most out of online learning.
The Saturday sessions, which started in the autumn of 2015, are happening all over Cymru / Wales and are free as part of your UNISON membership.
Teaching assistant Nadine Lewis said after taking part in Closing the Gap: “I’m taking away some valuable strategies to use. Sharing and discussing the good practice with everyone has made a huge difference to my confidence and will help a great deal in my job role. Looking forward to the next one already!”
Luke Phillips from Crynallt Primary School said: “I was looking forward to sharing ideas with other school staff. I now have a better understanding and a list of strategies to implement in my school. It’s about putting the children back on track.”
And Jan Rhodes from Y Pant Comprehensive simply said:
“Excellent! Best course I have EVER been on! Very glad I gave up my Saturday – very informative and pleasant”.
Find out more about the 2016 programme and add your name to the waiting list by emailing Jenny Griffin at: email@example.com