Apply now for help with study costs

If you are thinking of doing some trade union-related studying, UNISON can help with your course costs. But you only have until 31 July to apply.

There are a limited number of financial awards available to UNISON members for certificate and diploma awards, and for union representatives studying for bachelor or masters degrees in trade union and Labour studies or women’s studies.

Course costs include fees, travel and books.

Preference is given to members who do not already have a qualification at this level or above. Bursaries are paid once proof of course enrolment has been received.  

A limited number of awards of up to one-third of annual fees are also available to union representatives studying full or part-time at their own expense for a bachelors or masters degree in the same subjects.  

These awards are aimed at UNISON activists wishing to further their trade union experience and consideration will be given to how active you are within your branch. 

In addition, there is a one-year award for full-time residential diploma study at Northern College or Ruskin College.

Students on these courses are usually financed by mandatory grants, and UNISON can offer one member an additional award of £1,000 to assist with course costs.

This award is aimed at a member on a labour studies or women’s studies diploma course. If there are no UNISON members seeking a bursary for these areas of study, then sympathetic consideration will be given to a UNISON member taking another residential course at one of these colleges.

There are no financial awards available for PhD study and research.

Download an application form here [Word]

If you any have queries, contact UNISON learning and organising services by email or phone 020 7121 5116.