Branches and regions across the country are getting out and about this autumn, to make sure all non-members are asked to join UNISON.
The push comes as part of the union’s recruitment campaign, which aims to let non-members know about the essential cover at work that UNISON provides. It follows a successful drive in the spring which saw a 30% increase in recruitment.
UNISON general secretary Dave Prentis said: “This year has shown that when this union really puts its energies into recruitment, we can turn things around.
“We all know these are tough times, but that makes it even more important that we explain to all non-members how a union can support them.
“The two major recruitment initiatives we ran in March and May this year have boosted our recruitment. So far, recruitment since March is 30% higher than over the same period last year – that’s massive – but we can do better.
“Another big push in the autumn will mean even more new recruits and a stronger union.”
- The North West is in the middle of an Academies Fortnight from 23 September to 4 October, while arrangements are in hand to visit all state schools in the region. And from 18 to 30 November, the region will target universities and further education colleges.
- In the East Midlands, 400 Derbyshire schools were being visted, followed by a recruitment week in Nottingham schools in October.
- Large health workplaces are the main target in West Midland, with visits to 60 sites planned for a recruitment week starting on 14 October.
- A recruitment blitz is planned in London, where all branches will be organising at least one event in the week from 7 October. There will be daily floor walks at Guy’s and St Thomas’ and Bromley hospitals, as well as open meetings in all Croydon care homes and a health and safety campaign in the borough’s new council building.
- In Scotland, more than 200 activists and organising staff are planning a range of activities throughout October, including one-day-a-week events at many workplaces, recruit-a-friend initiatives and a big push at third sector employers.
UNISON is running television advertising from 23 September to 16 November and running adverts in the Metro nationwide during October and November.
Online adverts linked to search words will also run throughout this period.