- 2018 Health Care Service Group Conference
- 8 December 2017
Conference notes with pride that our National Health Service celebrates its 70th anniversary in 2018. As this milestone is reached the diversity of the NHS workforce should be a theme for public celebration.
Conference notes that 1948 was also the year that the Windrush brought 492 migrants to the United Kingdom in what became known as the start of the Windrush Generation. The people of that generation and their families went on to contribute – and continue to contribute – significantly to all aspects of British life, particularly to our public services. This is particularly true for the NHS, which has been a diverse organisation from its creation to the present day, and will be into the future.
Conference also notes that the NHS is now a five-generation employer, with the largest spread of working ages the service has ever seen.
Conference believes that these anniversaries are significant, and that the diversity of the NHS workforce is of real value to the service and the public.
Conference resolves to celebrate our past and our diversity with action as well as words in order to build an NHS that is genuinely open, inclusive and empowering for all workers.
Conference therefore calls on the Health Service Group Executive to:
1. use the NHS at 70 anniversary to articulate a positive vision of what the NHS should be and how it can celebrate diversity as both an institution and an employer;
2. work with other organisations who share our values to ensure our vision reaches as wide an audience as possible;
3. campaign to make the NHS a model employer that promotes fair and equal opportunities for all staff;
4. examine how UNISON should celebrate that diversity ourselves, including how we can encourage wider and broader participation in health branches.