- 2017 Local Government Service Group Conference
- 7 February 2017
Conference notes that our members employed by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and its contractors are constantly under the threat of being deregulated out of employment. They continue to face bullying, harassment and attacks in the workplace, as well as erosion to their pay and benefits.
Conference also notes that the future of meat inspection and our members’ jobs face the biggest threat in a generation due to the “Regulating Our Future” agenda, put forward by the board of the FSA.
Conference also notes that the future is even more uncertain due to the consequences of BREXIT given that all meat regulation comes from the European Union.
Conference calls upon the service group executive to continue to defend our members’ terms and conditions, negotiated with the FSA as an independent regulatory function by:-
1) Opposing privatisation and deregulation;
2) Continuing to increase our campaigning presence in all parts of the UK;
3) Continuing to oppose bullying and harassment in the workplace;
4) Opposing animal welfare abuses and working with animal welfare groups;
5) Making UNISON national media and communication resources available to highlight our campaigns;
6) Opposing performance related pay and reductions to member terms and conditions;
7) Educating the public;
8) Working with the devolved administrations, UK parliament and international organisations to highlight the importance of state employed, independent meat inspectors and official veterinarians.