- 2017 Community Service Group Conference
- 9 November 2016
Conference welcomes the national campaign Save Our Services and the national day of action which took place on November 16th 2016, which highlighted the need to retain Social Care services in-house and to encourage providers to adopt UNISON’s Ethical Care Charter.
Conference notes that the North West Region in partnership initially with 35 branches across the Liverpool City Region and Greater Manchester Combined Authority Devolution areas (and supported by the Regional Community Service Group) has embarked on a wide-ranging campaign to establish UNISON as the leading social care trade union.
This campaign, over a period of 2 years, requiring significant financial and organisational investment, aims to increase membership, build density and strong sustainable workplace organisation in both domiciliary and residential social care.
Utilising best practice from the previous experience of other UNISON Regional campaigns and initiatives, this campaign seeks to build wide-ranging community support to improve the working conditions of employees and expose the questionable business practices of employers and providers.
In partnership with Citizens UK, Labour Link structures and community organisations it will implement community and political campaigns to secure political commitment to UNISON’s Ethical Care and Residential Care Charters from the candidates in the Mayoral elections in 2017 and the commissioners and providers of services.
This campaign, in conjunction with its partners, ultimately seeks to develop a long-term strategy for the sector to tackle under-funding, business profiteering, poor commissioning practices and an improvement in the working conditions and dignity of those employed to deliver a crucial public service.
Conference welcomes this campaign and calls on the Service Group Executive to:
1. Continue to actively support campaigns to highlight nationally the situation of workers in Social Care.
2. Actively publicise the work Regional Service Groups and Regions are undertaking to recruit and organise with the Social Care Sector.
3. Work with UNISON National Office, Regions and Branches to produce guidance on best practice for campaigning in the Social Care sector.
4. Work with UNISON National Office to produce effective negotiating, bargaining and other appropriate resources for use by activists and workplace representatives in Social Care at local level.