Wellbeing breaks

Wellbeing breaks can provide welcome relief from stress and respite from difficult circumstances – this can include assisting with recovery from illness to help prepare for a return to work.

If you are on a low income or in hardship and cannot afford the cost of a break, There for You may be able to help you towards the cost.

“Thank you for helping me to get away. It was wonderful to see my children having so much fun especially given what we’ve all been through over the last year. They’ve been telling everyone about it – their smiles say it all. I feel so much stronger and am now looking forward to returning to work very soon.” – UNISON member

General information

  • We cannot reimburse or contribute towards the cost of a break that has already been booked or taken
  • We may be able to help with the cost of a day out, short break, or other activities. Week-long breaks may be considered in exceptional circumstances.
  • Breaks must be taken within 4 months of a grant being agreed.
  • Documentation to support the need for a break e.g. proof of time off work, bereavement etc may be asked for, but only once a grant has been agreed.

Eligibility criteria

Get Well day out or short break
  • Illness that has prevented attendance at work for at least 3 months. Member must still be off work or on a phased return at the time the break is taken.
  • Members suffering the ongoing effects of post-traumatic stress disorder or long COVID which has seriously impacted your health and income
  • Members diagnosed with a serious illness in the last 12 months
  • Members currently struggling to stay in-work and diagnosed with a mental health condition in the last 12 months.

Breaks in special circumstances

Break of up to one week in exceptional circumstances.

Respite break 

Day out or short break for carers in receipt of Carer’s Allowance and who are responsible for a disabled dependent. Alternatively, consideration may be given to one-off funding for recreational activities e.g. yoga classes, art, stress management etc.


  • Family break where there are children in education who have lost a parent within the last 12 months and where the deceased is the member, the member’s partner or child’s legal guardian.
  • Where a parent has lost a child in the last 12 months.

How to apply

Please apply using our general application form, returning it by email or post as outlined on the form, along with scans, screenshots or photos of your supporting paperwork.

Download the application form

For more information please call us on 020 7121 5620 or contact your branch welfare officer.