Access to legal services

To qualify for legal services you must have been a member of UNISON for at least four weeks when the need for the legal assistance arises. You also need to be up-to-date with payments for your membership subscription and must continue to be a UNSION member while your case is ongoing.

A number of our legal services are also available to family members for free or at reduced rates.

Contact us

For employment issues contact your local rep or branch.

For all other services the simplest way to access most of our legal services is by calling UNISONdirect.


Criminal law

For criminal law assistance (where you are facing work-related criminal charges) in an emergency outside of UNISONdirect hours, call the UNISON 24-hour criminal helpline free on 0800 587 7530.