9 February 2016 12:00am–11:30pm
All across the UK
UNISON will be running its fifth annual Safe Staffing Levels Survey on 9 February 2016. All members in the nursing family are encouraged to participate.
We’ve been campaigning to improve staffing levels for years, but unfortunately we know that there still remain many workplaces with too few staff.
The purpose of the survey is to find out what staffing levels are like in workplaces across the country on a regular day. Participants are asked to keep track of the registered nurse-to-patient ratio (the number of patients per registered nurse, in other words) in their workplace on 9 February and then answer questions in an online survey. All answers are kept anonymous and non-attributable, so everyone is encouraged to answer honestly and fully.
Tell your colleagues. Tell your friends who work in healthcare. Tell your branch. Get as many people involved as possible.
The survey can be found here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/UNISON_SSS_2016. Please fill in your response between 9 February and 9am 15 February. We won’t be counting responses filled in outside of this time period.
What you should keep track of during your shift on 9 February:
- How many hours your shift lasted
- Whether you worked any overtime (and how long it was)
- How many total patients there were during your shift
- How many total nurses there were during your shift
- Whether you took some, all or none of your breaks
- The percentage of your shift you spent working face to face with patients (exclude travel, paperwork, etc)
- How many bank and/or agency staff members worked on your shift
- Find out if your workplace has a set staffing ratio for nursing staff and if so, what it is
With your help we can provide a better picture of the situation with staffing levels across the UK.
Please email email@example.com if you would like further information.