16 – 20 September 2019
We have called for strong action on climate change for many years.
This September, our branches across the UK are organising a week of activities to call for urgent action to tackle climate change.
Green UNISON Week gives UNISON members the chance to show support for the school climate strikers ahead of their campaign to raise awareness and the school climate strike on 20 September.
UNISON general secretary Dave Prentis said: “This week young people will demand politicians take seriously the damage being done to our planet and act to save its future.
“To support their stand we’ll be encouraging employees to reduce their own carbon footprints but more importantly ensure their employers have a plan to green their workplaces completely. That way we can all begin to make a big difference quickly.”
Anti-trade union laws mean that UNISON branches cannot take strike action but there are many ways you can show your support for the school campaigners:
Five key actions:
- Find out if your UNISON branch has an environment rep? If not, encourage your branch and any interested members to get involved and become green reps!
- Find out what your employer is doing to reduce their environmental impact. Ask your employer to share this information with UNISON.
- Hold a UNISON green event. You could run a lunchtime stall in the canteen, a film show, or a talk. Why not invite a school student climate striker or a speaker from a nearby environmental campaigning organisation to come along? You can use the resources below to get people to make pledges, or promote your event online.
- Run a green survey. Ask your friends and colleagues for ideas on how to ‘green up’ your workplace. Get people involved and offer a prize or raffle.
- Run a green workplace training activity. Talk to your UNISON learning rep and look into running a lunchtime activity session for green reps and members who’d like to learn more.
You can find others who share your concerns about climate change and let UNISON Green Week be your springboard into starting a new green UNISON network where you work.
TUC Congress has also just passed motion to support a 30 minute workplace action on Friday 20th September as adults have been asked to show solidarity with school students on the day.
If you have any questions about Green UNISON Week, email email@example.com.
Work in Scotland? UNISON Scotland have their own green activities planned. See what they are doing.
You’ll find lots of tips and suggestions to help you kick-start your climate campaigning in these resources from the TUC:
- A handbook for environmental reps (PDF)
- Environmental reps learning and activities workbook (PDF)
- Negotiating on environmental issues at work (PDF)
Download social media graphics and a workplace pledge card below.