4 September 2018 12:00pm–4:30pm
UNISON Centre, 130 Euston Road, London, NW1 2AY
A joint union summit of energy sector reps from UNISON, GMB, UNITE, and Prospect, looking at challenges from excessive competition, the shift to renewable energy source to meet climate change targets and what a “just transition” to renewable energy would look like for energy workers.
- 11am: Registration
- 10-11.15 am: Welcome and opening remarks – Matthew Lay, UNISON
- 11:15-11.55 am: The story so far – the reality of climate change. Speaker; Benjamin Denis from the ETUC, followed by Q&A session
- 11:15-12.30: In support of a just transition. Paul Nowak – TUC deputy general secretary, followed by Q&A session
- 12:30-1.20 pm: Lunch (a sandwich lunch will be provided)
- 1:20-1.25pm: Reflections from the morning session – Sue Ferns, Prospect
- 1:25-1.30pm: Introduction to workshops – Justin Bowden, GMB
- 1: 30- 2.10pm: Workshop session 1 – Discuss the threats posed by Ttransition
- 2:10-2.25pm: Feedback from groups – workshop 1
- 2: 25-2.35pm: Comfort break
- 2:35-3.10pm: Workshop session 2 – What mitigations do we demand, to make any transition a just one?
- 3: 10-3.25pm: Feedback from groups – workshop 2
- 3: 25-3.30pm: Concluding remarks – Peter McIntosh, UNITE