elderly woman


UNISON’s retired members play an active role in creating a fairer society.

Retired members campaign to improve:

  • legislation
  • pension provision
  • action against discrimination, including age discrimination.

Retired members have a wealth of experience and knowledge that make them a valuable part of UNISON campaigns.

They also work closely with other member groups on almost every issue that affects workers in the UK, as well as fighting for quality public services, on which many older people rely.

Find out more about the issues UNISON is campaigning on that might affect you.

If you have been a UNISON member for at least two years on the day you retire from employment (in an area of work in which UNISON organises) and are receiving a pension and are not in other paid employment, you can become a retired member. UNISON retired members continue to be entitled to a wide range of benefits including:

  • legal advice
  • welfare support
  • discounts and offers on a wide range of products and services.

Speak to your local UNISON representative
if you would like more information on joining the retired members’ section.

Getting involved

UNISON is the only British trade union with a retired members’ group.

Becoming a retired member means that you stay actively involved in issues that affect you and your peers.

Common issues affecting older members include age discrimination, pension problems, mobility and the provision of public services. As a retired member you make an important contribution to UNISON campaigns, often working closely with other member groups.

You can also get together socially for outings and events.

Are you retired, or are you due to retire and want to campaign for your rights?

Read more about becoming a member or joining the retired members’ group.

Retired member issues

The latest government figures show that 27% of pensioners live below the poverty line.

UNISON’s retired members campaign for better rights for retired workers in terms of a decent income in older age and better public services.

If you are struggling in any way you may wish to speak to a UNISON representative (rep). Your UNISON rep can help you if you are a UNISON member.

Alternatively you can call UNISONdirect on 0800 0 857 857.