About this job
About this job
The Regional Organiser is the key generic organising role in the region, with responsibility for recruitment, retention and organisation of members. They act as a powerful advocate of organising and building branch and membership organisation and UNISON’s profile and reputation in the branches and with employers. All Regional Organisers have overall responsibility for promoting and ensuring equalities and tackling discrimination is at the heart of all regional and branch activities.
As a Regional Organiser, you will:
- Provide leadership to a group of branches within a locality, service group or work area to ensure that branches have the strongest possible workplace organisation.
- Support, guide and develop branches and activists through major periods of change in the delivery of public services.
- Build branch organisation and performance, identifying training and development needs of activists and providing ongoing support through coaching and mentoring of stewards and branch officers.
- Lead collective negotiations across the range of sectors that UNISON organises across, at local, regional, or national level.
- Represent members individually and collectively, assisting branches in developing systems and processes for managing and undertaking their casework effectively.
- Manage a small team of area and/or local organisers or administrative.
You will have skills and experience that include:
- Demonstrable leadership and motivational skills.
- A proven track record of using initiative and independence over a broad area of activity.
- Considerable knowledge of industrial relations and a track record of high level negotiation and representation.
- Experience of advocacy in difficult situations.
- Ability to develop strategies, plans and solutions to solve complex problems.
- Ability to work on and manage projects.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and experience of influencing people at all levels.
While our Regional Organisers are regionally based, they are required to work in any team or location across the region.
Work will include strategic responsibility for work with branches and employers, leading negotiations and undertaking complex casework including representation at final stage appeals.
The Regional Organiser will manage a small team of organising staff and oversee the development and delivery of projects with branches and employers to build UNISON organisation and implement the unions bargaining and organising strategies.
How to apply
To apply for this opportunity please download and complete the General application form (under “Documents”). See job description and person specification (under “Documents”)
Please note that only the General application form will be accepted.
The completed application form along with the Recruitment and Disability Monitoring Form should be sent to HR by email to email@example.com, quoting the correct ref:
Ref: R12/28T and R12/13T
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 24th November 2023
Interviews will be held on the 11th & 12th December 2023
UNISON is the UK’s leading public services trade union, with over 1.3 million members working in the public sector, private, voluntary and community sectors and in the energy services. We employ approximately 1,200 staff, with around 370 at our national centre in Euston in central London and the remainder in our 12 regions across the UK, including Northern Ireland.
UNISON is a dynamic, progressive union, committed to equality. We encourage men and women of all ages, Black and minority ethnic groups, disabled people, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to work with us.