About this job
As the UK’s leading public services trade union, we have more than 1.3 million members working in public services and the private, voluntary and community sectors from frontline staff to senior managers. We employ 1,200 staff, approximately 370 at our national centre in Euston, central London and the remainder in our 12 regions across the UK, including Northern Ireland.
We are looking for two Data Protection Administrators to work closely with our Data Protection Officer. As a membership organisation, protecting personal data is a core principle, and we are committed to maintaining high standards of practice.
Working with the Data Protection and Information Officer, the post holders will:
- Provide support for subject access requests (SAR) and the enhanced rights that individuals will be provided with under the GDPR. This will include document searches and information gathering and large quantities of photocopying, scanning and redacting of documents;
- Help to investigate complaints about data protection breaches;
- help to maintain a log of data protection breaches or near misses, and remedial recommendations and actions;
- provide support and maintain a log for erasure requests;
- provide general admin support for the data protection team;
- support the team in carrying out data flow reviews and creating data flow maps for key processes across the union;
- help record the statistics of the number of data protection requests made to the team including: SARs, erasure requests, data breaches etc;
- Establish and maintain data flow maps for data processes across the union to help ensure that UNISON fulfils the accountability principle in the GDPR;
- Assist with the investigation of complaints about data protection breaches. Maintaining a log of any incidents and remedial recommendations and actions;
You will need excellent communication skills and be a confident user of Microsoft Office with first-rate IT skills. Knowledge and understanding of The Data Protection Act 2018 and the GDPR is highly desirable, as well as experience of the challenges faced when implementing robust privacy arrangements in a membership organisation.
The work will also include providing data protection support for UNISON’s charity “There For You”, Managers in Partnership and UNISON’s holiday resort Croyde Bay.
How to apply
An application form can be obtained by visiting www.unison.org.uk/jobs.To apply for this opportunity, please download and complete the General Application Form. See also job description and person specification.
Please send 3 copies of the completed application form to Shauna McDonald, SMS, UNISON Centre, London NW1 2AY quoting ref: ORD/137. Application forms must be received by no later than 5pm on Friday 3 January 2020.
Interviews will be held on week commencing 13 January 2020.
UNISON is the UK’s leading public services trade union, with over 1.3 million members working in the public sector, private, voluntary and community sectors and in the energy services. We employ approximately 1,200 staff, with around 370 at our national centre in Euston in central London and the remainder in our 12 regions across the UK, including Northern Ireland.
UNISON is a dynamic, progressive union, committed to equality. We encourage men and women of all ages, Black and minority ethnic groups, disabled people, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to work with us.