About this job
Can you meet the Challenge?
The Regional Secretary is the senior paid official in the region. As the strategic head of the Regional Management Team the successful applicant will lead the on the delivery of UNISON’s agenda in the Cymru Wales Region.
We wish to appoint a dynamic, progressive and committed individual who understands the challenges facing the organisation and as a member of UNISON’s Senior Management Group can make a major contribution to the development of organisational strategy and planning to achieve UNISON’s internal and external objectives and priorities.
The successful candidate will:
- Oversee the development and implementation of the national strategy in the Region and the regional plan to achieve UNISON’s national objectives including strategic accountability for policy development and the region’s political organisation and campaigning.
- Manage and provide strategic leadership to the Regional Management Team
- Champion and lead the implementation of strategic change in the region
- Promote partnership working with lay members through the region’s lay structures
- Develop performance standards and mechanisms for monitoring and evaluation of achieving the Region’s stated aims
- Have strategic responsibility for the region’s engagement and relationship with Assembly Members and civil servants in the National Assembly for Wales and the Welsh Government.
- The Person
- Dynamic and enthusiastic style of management and leadership with experience in leading major change management projects
- Committed to the aims and values of UNISON.
- Politically aware of the challenges encountered by working across public services in a devolved nation
- Considerable experience of handling the media and developing a media strategy
- Be familiar with appreciative enquiry management techniques.
- Practical experience of complex negotiations and the achievement of collective bargaining and policy objectives during major reorganisation and change
How to apply
To apply for this opportunity, please download and complete the General application form (under “Resources”)
See job description and person specification (under “Documents”).
Please note that only the General application form will be accepted.
Please send 4 copies of completed application forms to Human Resources Department, UNISON, 130 Euston Road, London NW1 2AY, quoting ref: R11/1.
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Wednesday 25 July 2018
Interviews are scheduled for 23rd and 24th August 2018 in London
UNISON is the UK’s leading public services trade union, with over 1.3 million members working in the public sector, private, voluntary and community sectors and in the energy services. We employ approximately 1,200 staff, with around 370 at our national centre in Euston in central London and the remainder in our 12 regions across the UK, including Northern Ireland.
UNISON is a dynamic, progressive union, committed to equality. We encourage men and women of all ages, Black and minority ethnic groups, disabled people, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to work with us.