About this job
The Regional Organiser is the key generic organising role in the region, with responsibility for recruitment, retention and organisation of members.
A powerful advocate of organising and building branch and membership organisation, you will
Provide leadership to a group of branches within a locality, service group or work area to ensure that branches have the strongest possible workplace organisation.
- Support, guide and develop branches and activists through major periods of change in the delivery of public services.
- Build branch organisation and performance, identifying training and development needs of activists and providing ongoing support through coaching and mentoring of stewards and branch officers.
- Lead collective negotiations across the range of sectors which UNISON organises at local, regional or national level.
- Represent members individually and collectively, assisting branches to develop systems and processes for managing and undertaking their casework effectively.
- Manage a small team of area and/or local organisers.
- You will have skills and experience that include
- Demonstrable leadership and motivational skills.
- A track record of using initiative and independence over a broad area of activity.
- Considerable knowledge of an industrial relations environment and a track record of high level negotiation and representation.
- Experience of advocacy in difficult situations.
- Ability to develop strategies, plans and solutions to solve complex problems.
- Ability to work on and manage projects.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and experience of influencing people at all levels.
How to apply
To apply for this opportunity, please download and complete the general application form and monitoring forms (under “Resources”) and see job description and person specification (under “Documents”).
Please note that only the general application form will be accepted.
Please send four copies of your completed application forms to Human Resources, UNISON,130 Euston Road, London, NW1 2AY by no later than Monday 13 November 2017. 12.00 Noon
It is proposed to hold interviews on 30 November and 1 December 2017.
UNISON is the UK’s leading public services trade union, with over 1.3 million members working in the public sector, private, voluntary and community sectors and in the energy services. We employ approximately 1,200 staff, with around 370 at our national centre in Euston in central London and the remainder in our 12 regions across the UK, including Northern Ireland.
UNISON is a dynamic, progressive union, committed to equality. We encourage men and women of all ages, Black and minority ethnic groups, disabled people, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to work with us.