The site used to be home to the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital, founded by the pioneering physician and political campaigner Elizabeth Garrett Anderson. Anderson was the first Englishwoman to qualify as a doctor and founded the New Women's Hospital on Churchway in 1872.
UNISON has agreed that a permanent exhibition/meeting room be designated in the restored listed building to celebrate the memory of Elizabeth Garrett Anderson herself and the work she carried out at the hospital. We have been working closely with the campaign group EGA for Women, which presented its ideas to the presidential team at the end of last year.
As part of her submission to Camden Council, Wendy Savage stated: "EGA for Women wholeheartedly applauds UNISON's understanding and appreciation of the importance of the listed building and commends its attention to its careful and appropriate repair, restoration and mix of new uses.
"As client and developer of the listed building and its site, UNISON has unfailingly understood and appreciated its social and architectural history and importance. Working with EGA for Women and women's groups within the union, it has tried to ensure that the vision and achievement of Elizabeth Garrett Anderson is preserved and commemorated by a permanent exhibition in the restored listed building."